Thread: Need Help, Mods
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
der Geist

A supercharger is gonna be the cheapest way to get power out of your car. They turn up occasionally on eBay for 1 or 2 grand. Best bang for the buck. You need to watch the compression though. If I am not mistaken the 2.5 runs at 11:1 and without an interooler you run a risk of detonation. You didn't say how much milage you have on the engine. If you are over 100K I wouldn't be putting a supercharger on it but that is just my opinion. The nissan engines you are talking about are cast iron according to that article and are e completely different animal than the Boxsters motor. Jap cars are made with the knowledge and expectation that they will be modded where as the Germans make things as hard as possible to tweek. A cast iron engine is going to be able to take a lot more punishment than the Boxsters.

I rode in ohioboxsters car and so did Randall. My butt told me 300 HP for sure. That car was a screamin' demon. I think Matt told me he paid around 1K for the S/C. No chip. No intake. No exhaust upgrade.

If you have 20K to play with though you would be crazy to not get the 3.4. or even the 3.6 The reliability factor is way higher with a 3.4 NA engine than a 2.5 supercharged. Check eBay and Pelican Parts, I just got a great deal on a 3.0 for my 911 from a guy on the Pelican board. I am pretty sure that you could get a decent 3.6 and have it installed in your car for under 10K. It would be a real outlaw and chew up just about anything else on the street er ah uhhh I mean track. Yeah track!!!!

Do intake/exhaust/chip for your own listening pleasure. You will spend a bundle and be very dissapointed. I did a chip, intake and exhuast and dynoed out at 240 HP about 12 HP over stock on my 2.7.

And for what it's worth, I bought my first Porsche (a 1971 914 that was literally rusted in half) because I always wanted a Porsche and it was all I could afford. Careful though- Porsche ownership has now becaome a lifelong obsession. Use the search engine on this board and you'll learn volumes about your car.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote