View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 PM   #35
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I am only running 6 injectors.

With the supercharger and the turbo the ecu was reprogrammed. GIAC did the sc program and Turbowerx writes his own programs. So to answer the question I am not running an AIC....I am sure as the priced of 2.5 Boxsters drop the tuner market will get more involved, ... Within a few years there will be more mods for our cars and more power.

I for one would love to see more power out of my 2.5 so I will continue working toward that goal.

PK,
I believe the IA supercharger runs 4.5 psi and I know I am running 6psi with the turbo. If you pulley up to 6 with the sc I would look into doing an intercooler ...
I know you did some intercooler research, what have you decided to do? I assume the water/meth injection??

At one time you where wanting me to measure my intercooler, do you still need those numbers??
Gary,

Funny I had the same thoughts regarding ageing Boxster prices and the availability of aftermarket parts. It’ll be a blessing and a curse. First time I see a primer grey Boxster, I’ll hang mine up.

I kinda figured your setup was a holistic approach. A reprogrammed ECU, fine tuned with all pertinent components in place is pretty ideal. But, to your question about remapping the ECU, if the mods you make are significant, without having the ECU remapped with your mods in place, you might not be getting all you can.

As to the intercooler, if your rolling around down there, I’d be curios about its size and that of the inlets, I haven’t ruled it out completely. WI (water/alcohol injection) just seems to be better suited for my setup. (That’s the short answer).

The long: The problem is the length/volume of air between the blower and the cylinders. To plumb an IC (intercooler) in on my setup would mean a lot more plumbing plus the intercooler volume = a lot more volume of air/fuel to compress, this takes time… read lag. Since my torque is quite low-end (opposite that of a single turbo), and this where the lag would be most pronounced, it could be pretty screwy with an IC, compressed torue curve.

With WI, I don’t increase the volume of air/fuel to compress at all. It also doesn’t matter where I put the hardware; just need a hole into engine compartment for a water line and a couple of wires. As best I can tell, it every bit as effective as an IC, maybe even better.

The trade off is that mine would be an active system needing to be fed, nurtured and maintained and yours is completely passive. The extra plumbing/volume in you IC system is probably negated because your turbo’s might well be a “2 Stage” deal; one works the low-end & when it fizzles, the other kicks in and works the top end (total speculation on my part, but I know they do it)

I’m with you, I’d like to tap all the “squirt” out of this “little 2.5” I can. My sc is supposed to be at maxed out 4.5.psi to. I think that must be the cut off before detonation sets in and when you need to start some IC or the like.

Anyway, that was breathy..

Regards, PK

P.S. If that’s all confusing (and it probably is), think of it this way, what would it take you to blow a little beer bottle up to 2 psi, not much. Now blow a 5 gallon jug up to 2 psi…. lungs = blower, bottles =air fuel volume, (tubes, IC, etc.)