Thread: Stiff Shifter??
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
IceBox
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Ummm...The Miata shifter and the Boxster shifter feel very different one from the other. No comparison can be drawn beyond the most general. The Miata's shifter has always possessed a 'notchy' feel, as most Japanese trannys do, while the German cars I've driven have a more vauge and flimsy feel. Sticky shifters are NOT the norm for any Boxster I've had the opportunity to drive and this may be something beyond a little lubrication in the turret well. The Miata I drove for 5 years had a shredded upper rubber seal boot and yet this didn't impede it's nice shifting in the way you describe. And it was a '90 so it's boot was likely FUBAR for some time before I purchased it. The NSX I bought after also had a nice notchy feel feel to it but never did it require any 'effort' to move the gear shift from gear to gear. And my Boxster (a 2001) has a very smooth throw (if a little long) and as I said, my only complaint is a slightly 'vague' feel from gear to gear. No stickyness. Hope this helps. :dance: