View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #35
mts

I have a 2004 Cayenne and used it to tow a track car and open car trailer (5,000lbs total load) and it worked brilliantly with the tiptronic. I honestly didn't think the V6 would have enough grunt and I was only going to use it as a stop-gap until I got a diesel truck, but the ability to tip down a gear on hills made it work really well as a tow vehicle. The V8 would likely handle your open boat trailer and 6,500lbs with no issues at all, especially with no hills. When I go to Road Atlanta and VIR I have to go through the mountains and that's a bit more of a challenge, but it handles it just fine.

I still have the Cayenne, but retired in from tow duty. I now pull an open 2 car trailer to events and use an F250 turbo diesel for the task (about 10,000 lbs tow weight), but if I do tow a single open trailer and don't have too much junk I prefer to use the Cayenne......such a nice ride.

One thing people neglect to consider sometimes is what you are towing. A 6,500 open boat trailer is a heck of a lot less taxing to tow than say a 5,000lb enclosed car trailer for example. It's the wind resistance. For example, my F250 has to work harder towing a big square single enclosed car trailer (about 6,000lbs) than my 10,000lb open 2 car trailer. The point being the V8 Cayenne will handle your boat on flat land no problem.

Good luck,
Mike
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote