View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidhts1
I just left my 986 at the local dealer for a 45K service. my tires are shot and I have been shopping for a new set of 'shoes'. I was discussing having the tires shipped from the Tirerack for installation with a brake service and was advised that I needed tires with an 'N' rating approved by Porsche??? I was told that there are 'Pilot Sports' and then there are 'N rated Pilot Sports". Does anyone know if this has any merit... or is my local dealer just trying to jack me for a mark-up on 'their tires'?
There are "N" rated tires. They meet Porsche OEM specs. While I don't know the specific differences in the Boxster application, I do know that on the new 997 GT3, for example, the "N" spec Michelin has different wear characteristics (they don't were out as fast) as the Non N spec Michelin tire.

That said, Porsche usually specifies more than one brand/tire as "N" spec.. in the past, Michelin, Continental, Pirelli and Yokohama have been OEM spec tires. I doubt you would notice the difference in the driving between an "N" and "non-N" spec of the same brand/model of tire.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote