View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
Perfectlap

Valentine One! Yipee!!

well the roads became clear again so I pulled out the Valentine One which arrived before the 2005 Blizzard. Installed it in 5 minutes with the remote relocator. The boxster has a small rear window so the placement of the Valentine One radar locator is limited to a small area underneath the rear view mirror. The V1 needs a completely unobstructed view of the road in front and car's behind. The higher up above the road the better. I stepped out of the car and stood behind to see if I had a clear view of the "radar locator" as Valentine likes to refer to it since it just doesn't detect the radars but let's you know if you are approaching them and when you have passed them. The view has to be unobstructed in order for the laser detection to work. Some have mounted the V1 on their sun visors and on the left side of the dash which is obviously an obstructed view and prevents 100% effectiveness.

I opted for the remote read out box that displays the flashing alerts, instead of on the actual detector itself. This eliminates the red flashing light on your dash board which the cops and tailgaters love to fixate on. I placed the remote box in between the steering wheel and the gauges, over to the right. All the flashing occurs there where it can't be seen from those away from your car. I tucked the wiring behind the console and set the Valentine One to Logic mode (displays an "L")

In logic mode the V1 ignores X band and concentrates on Ka and K band which is where the police usually live on. Laser gets its own unique warning. Once a Ka or K band alert is detected arrows flash letting you know where its coming from and how many different possible radars. Generally once the arrow is pointing behind you, you're know your safe unless of course it continues to beep while pointing behind you meaning the threat is following you.

So out we went. It was dead silent for a while and (no kidding) as soon as I aprroached a dunkin donuts it started squealling with the arrow in front, just above a wall of snow I could see the lights from a police car. The arrow switched from "in front" to "along sides" and then to "from behind" and then went silent.
I was great to drive long strethches without looking to sides since I was going about 70.

I'll post pics of the V1 and my Sirius Plug and Play soon. My Boxster is becoming very electronic.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-27-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote