View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 AM   #7
tboyer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslawguy
right side of the engine temperature gauge began flashing red. I believe this means that the vehicle is lacking coolant. I waited 20 minutes, and opened the coolant cap in the trunk. I added a gallon of water, and decided to drive the car back home.

As I pulled in to my driveway, the coolant light began flashing again.
Bingo, red indicator flashing = low coolant

Gallon of tap water? If yes, in the future, only use distilled water in an emergency. Tap water is very corrosive to the internals

My first check would be pulling up the carpet in the trunk looking for leaks out of the coolant reservoir (inspect thoroughly for cracks), a very common problem. The steam sounds like a leak dripping out both sides of the trunk, probably leaked below the indicator limit while on your drive home. Of course, hands and knees under the car looking for leaks is required here too.

A bad water pump could be the cause of your issue as well, the coolant/water has to go somewhere so start at the top and work your way down.

Finally, don't panic, as a 2nd 986 owner, I treated my first like a new born baby. Calmly inspect the car, call your PCA chapter Pres for local resources (as already stated)

Good Luck!

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote