View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
kansaslawguy

Angry Need help...please.

I purchased a 2000 Boxster in August of this year. At the time, the car had 46,500 miles, now, it has about 49,000. I didn't do a PPI, and I have to admit, I know next to nothing about vehicles, so that was a major mistake. I do live in Kansas, so getting a PPI out there was going to be difficult, and trusting someone I hadn't met before to give me unbiased information on a vehicle being sold in his hometown didn't seem to be worth the cost.

Well, a few weeks ago, I began to hear a small whine when driving the vehicle. I attributed this to the brakes, and figured I would need to get the brakes checked soon. Last night, it was about 43 degrees outside, and when I got into my car with my wife and started it up, I noticed a large amount of smoke coming out of both the passenger and driver side engine vents. The engine sounded normal, and the engine temperature showed 180, so I figured that the engine always vented that much side exhaust, but because it was so cold, this is the first time I could see it.

I drove it for about an hour straight, and the side vents were just billowing smoke. I couldn't tell that was happening while I was driving, but it was very apparent every time I stopped. After my wife and I went into where we were going, I came back out of the theatre after 25 minutes, and the passenger side vent still had exhaust coming out of it.

We cut our evening short, and began driving the hour home. After 5 miles, even though the engine temperature still red 180, the right side of the engine temperature gauge began flashing red. I believe this means that the vehicle is lacking coolant. I waited 20 minutes, and opened the coolant cap in the trunk. I added a gallon of water, and decided to drive the car back home. I never went over 50 mph. I didn't see the red flashing coolant indicator any more, but the side vents were still billowing smoke. Also, the engine did make a high pitched whine twice when I accelerated.

As I pulled in to my driveway, the coolant light began flashing again.

So, here is my situation.

I live in Topeka, Kansas, and I can't seem to find anyone who can repair a Porsche here. I think I'll need to have it towed to either Lawrence or Kansas City to even have it inspected.

My questions:

1. What do you all think the problem might be?
2. What sort of repair costs am I looking at?
3. I purchased the vehicle for 17,500, but I only owe 5000 on it...should I try to just trade it in to a dealer and recoup as much value as I can on another vehicle if this appears to be a major problem?
4. Should I be freaking out?
5. Does anyone who of a good Porsche mechanic in my area?

I love this car, and would love to keep it, but I'm not going to throw money away on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. What does this sound like to you guys?
kansaslawguy is offline   Reply With Quote