View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
cfos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Cfos, it has nothing to do with the dealership, I ask the dealership to change the oil, not the other way around.

And yes, I bet our driving styles are different. I drive the car once a week, usually for about 350-450 miles in that one drive. Pretty good for the oil, I'd say, but I still change it once per year, just prior to winter storage, or for me right between 7-10K miles.
True, I could change the oil more frequently, I suppose. Of course, you can find any number of data sets to back up one's ideology. Nevertheless, I am maintaining it as instructed by the dealer and having the service done at the dealer. I will, likely also trade it back in to the dealer for something else after owning it for a few years. According to the maintainence book, the dealers advice, etc., I have maintained the car accordingly. I use it as a daily driver (yes, even in the rain and snow -- although I did buy a set of Porsche rims and snow tires so not changing the oil isn't about the $) and probably don't hit the highway much. Thus far, no problems. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the car is built that well. Honestly, I can't imagine that the owners maintenance manual (booklet) as well as the dealer provided booklet "The New Boxster" would state: Page 25: "Longer service intervals are nor only easier on resources, they also make good financial sense. Over the years, Porsche has consistently reduced its servicing requirements, as well as the number of tasks. On both the Boxster and Boxster S models, the intervals speak for themselves: engine oil every 20,000 miles (or two years), spark plugs every 60,000 miles (or four years), oil filter every 20,000 miles, and air filter every 40,000 miles. The brake fluid interval is two years, while the coolant is good for the life of the car. So you can enjoy your new Boxster for two years of 20,000 miles before you encounter your first regularly scheduled maintenance..." without thinking that it is possible.

Surely, there must have been a study conducted before coming up with those numbers, too. Obviously, there has been much on this thread and others regarding the time to change the oil -- about changing it after the first 1k miles or more frequently. I have owned my car since it had 7 miles on it and have been happy with it since. To each their own and may all the cars continue to perform.