View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
porsche986spyder

Found my old post on HOW TO.

I just copied it and now I'm pasting it in here for you.

Okay, for starters, this isn't something you can rush. And if you have no experience using spray paint, don't even attempt this. Last thing I want is a load of hate mail sent to me because someone screwed up there door cover lids. Read the paint instructions like you normally would when using any spray paint from a can. So here it goes.

1) Remove your lid covers(of course) you will need some needle nose plyers. There are 2 sets of steel rods on both sides that you will need to remove. Make sure not to loose them and the metal sleeves that they slide into. There are 4 sets of sleeves per door lid. Put them aside for later.

2) You will want to clean the lid covers as best as you can from any type of armor-all or cleaner/polishes you may have used on it in the past. For me, the quickest and easy way to do this, is to place them in your dish washer. (I know it sounds crazy, but it works) use some Cascade Complete, not allot, about half of what is normally needed. This will de-grease and pull out any cleaner/polishes they were used in the past that may have soaked into the plastic. Make sure to use a high temp heat-dry cycle. Set it for your smallest load. When it's done, you will notice the rubber-like surface has started to peel off. Don't panic! That's what we want. You can start rubbing it off using your fingers. It should peel off like latex paint. After you have as much off as possible(preferably all of it) you can start sanding.

3) I used a medium grade sand paper to start. You will want to remove any access rubber-like paint that is still remaining. Keep sanding until it is all gone and then use a fine sand paper to make sure it is nice and smooth to the touch. Make sure to get all of the edges and smooth out the curved ones too.

4) Paint I used. (1) Can of Grey Primer - Color Place(Brand Name) or any automotive sandable primer will work. 1) Can of Artic Silver Paint - Dupli-Color(Brand Name) Truck, Van & SUV. Paint code T229 Silver (M). Looks exactly like PORSCHE artic silver when your done. 1) Can of Rust-Oleum(Brand Name) Crystal Clear Enamel Paint. All purchased at your local Walmart, except for Dupli-Color Silver Paint. I found it at Pep-Boys.

5) I found it best to lay the lid on a spray can cap at an angle because of the contour of the lid. This way you will avoid over spray on the curved surface. Spray 1 light coat of Grey primer down. I let mine dry for 1 hour before looking for any surface imperfections. If you see any, use your fine grade sand paper to smooth it out. Repeat this step until you no longer see any surface imperfections thought the gray primer paint. I used 2-3 light coats of primer per lid.

6) You are now ready for your first shot of silver paint. I used several light thin coats of paint, instead of 1 or 2 heavy coats(again, use common sense) allowed for 1 hour drying time between coats. I used 3 coats of paint and make sure you get those curved edges.

7) Last, after letting it dry for 24hrs. you can apply the final clear glossy coat. Again, used several thin coats instead of 1 or 2 heavy coats of paint. This will keep the paint from chipping/peeling off and it makes it look like that factory glossy finish. I used 3 thin coats. Let dry for another 24 hrs. before handling and installing.

8) Re-install the round metal sleeves into the holders of the lid and re-install them onto your door using one steel rod at a time. Then your done. Paint should cure in the next few days and should not be leaned on or used as an arm-rest. Hope this helps everyone!
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote