View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
edevlin

Brake cable rubbing on inside of rim

Got a chance to poke around under the car and took off the rear left wheel, where I thought the noise was comming from. It was the parking brake cable rubbing against the inside of the rim. Rubbed through the rubber coating on the housing.

When I first got coilovers and lowered my car I added 5mm spacers to help get the clearance for my 18" aftermarket carerra lightweight rims. At that time I noticed on the right wheel, the brake cable was very close to the rim, so I zip tied it away. There was plenty of space on the left side at the time, so I did not tie it back, my bad. I just put a zip tie on the cable housing and it is good as new.

BTW, my Boxster is starting to accumulate zip ties more than I would like. Has anyone had the plastic under the car start to come loose like mine has in one spot, zip tie.... Thanks for the advice on possible causes of the tick, tick sound I was hearing. The good news, wheel bearings, CV covers and joints seem fine (so far). Cost of repair, two zip ties, now, thats what I am talking about.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote