View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
JackG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
I don't know about the pump bearing, but I recently took apart a '70 914-6 steering rack to replace a pinion bearing. I went over to NAPA. If I had asked them for a '70 914 pinion bearing they would have laffed their heads off. Instead I just hand it to the guy, he reads the # on it, looks in a cross reference book, goes in back, badda-bing - new bearing! A couple others he didn't have laying around, so he referred me to a local bearing supplier who was able to order a couple other odd balls. The #'s on those things may not mean anything to you or me, but there's a good chance they use them to get an equivalent. The hard part may be dissassembly.
Thanks for the reply. A good source of small bearings, like the ones that would be used in the air pump, is http://www.bocabearings.com .

I'll probably just live with the noise until it gets worse, or I'm in there for some other reason. Then I'll take the air pump apart to see if it can be repaired, and if not, I'll replace it.

I was just hoping someone had blazed that trail before, and could offer some insight.

When I do it I'll report back here with what I find.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote