View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
Pablito

Garage
I have a '98 as well....on top of what Bruce has written my word of caution on the following items:

1) the trailing control arms rear of the car, these are the long trailing arms that run along side the engine. They usually get frayed at the bushings and rattle on bumpy roads.

2) front engine mount, If the previuos owner was not careful this round bushing in this part cracks. If it's damaged you will feel a bump behind your seat on take-off.

3) Check the rear coolant reservoir and lift the trunk carpet, look for coolant leaks. If the reservoir has any leak the coolant will be soaked by the board under the carpet. A leak might indicate temp. abuse and/or other components failure (i.e. evaporator, front coolong fans or front radiator leak) If the A/C does not work to par or if the car does not regulate properly, watch out!!!

4) Sway bar links and bushings, when they get worn they rattle as well.

5) check the carpet floor behind the driver's seat, If it's moist or has signs of moisture, there may be a leak due to the cabrio top lining.

6) Check the fuse box and make sure the empty spaces are supposed to be empty, when you turn on the car make sure all the warning panel lights turn on. The easiest way to hide a check engine light is by loosening de bulb from behind.

7) Don't forget the Top, The TOP, The Freakin' TOP. If it opens and closes soothly, dude you are golden.....

Again, not to scare you, just to help you make an intelligent buy and enjoy your new ride!!!
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote