View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
TimAustinW

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
My Boxster Saved My Stupid Behind

I have a story that happened to me that I have to share about how my Boxster saved my butt. Now let me preface by saying that I do not condone drinking and driving. It's not a frequent thing for me but it's still really dumb and nearly cost me. Needless to say I learned my lesson.

I moved to Austin, TX about a year ago from Los Angeles and work for a video game developer. We just wrapped an XBox 360 title and some friends invited me out for a couple of beers. I joined and only intended to have a couple of beers but one thing led to another and before too long all judgment left my brain and I got in the car to drive home. (I know, stupid)

So I'm about three miles from home driving on a country highway. The top is down and I'm jammin some tunes when I come across a convoy of construction vehicles. Impatient, reckless and just enjoying my car I gun past these guys at about 90 mph. Who knows, maybe faster. With the music blaring I didn't hear the Trooper behind me on his loud speaker telling me to pull over.

So he flips his lights and I nearly have a heart attack and pull over. Nervous as hell and hands shaking. I figure at this point I'm hosed. Texas Police are pretty hardcore on DUI and I just assume at this point that I'll be looking at thousands of dollars in court costs and fines. Not to mention the embarrassment of admitting to my friends and family how irresponsible I was.

He steps up to the passenger side of my car (since I had the top down no need to come to the drivers side) and says "Did you hear me telling you to pull over. I've been behind you for a mile"

License, registration, insurance, the usual. I have trouble remembering where the registration and insurance are because I'd only had the car for a few weeks and there's no glove box in the Boxster. Finally I remember that I stashed it in my owners manual under the steering wheel. I hand everything over.

"Boy, you do know that when you move to Texas that you have to get a Texas Drivers license?" He says.

"Yes Sir. I have no excuse" I say in as few words as possible lest he smell the beer on my breath or detect a slur.

"And you know the State of Texas requires that you have a front plate on your vehicle?"

"Yes sir. I tried to put it on last night but didn't have the mounting hardware." Which was actually true.

"Sir do you realize you were going 92 in a 60 mile per hour zone, which is reduced to 50 since it is a construction zone?"

"No sir, I didn't realize how fast I was going."

"Alright then, you hang tight. I'll be right back" He says.

He then leaves me to my reeling imagination of impending doom. He's gone for what seems like forever and I can only imagine that he's gathering his Breathalyzer and preparing himself to put me through the ringer. Finaly he comes back to the car and says,

"So I'm citing you for excessive speeding, no front plate on your vehicle and failure to apply for a Texas drivers license. So what I want you to do now..."

And he takes this really long pause (that in retrospect I'm sure is just to mess with me) I expect the next thing to come out of his mouth are instructions to step out of the car, breath in this, tilt your head back and touch your nose and the whole nine yards. Instead he continues,

"What I want you to do now... is when you get home I want you to destroy this citation."

My jaw hit the floor board and I asked in amazement "What? Why? What do you mean? Why would you do that?"

To which he says, "Just hear me out, when you get home I want you to destroy that citation. Throw it away, don't pay it. You won't have to go to court or see the judge or any of that."

Again I ask "That's really nice of you but you don't have to do that. Why?" (I know I should have just let it go and said thanks. But I had to know why I was getting off so lucky)

He just stares down at me and says with a smile...

"Because sir....I appreciate your vehicle."

I've never heard of a cop letting someone get away with speeding 30 miles over the speed limit, two other minor charges and potential DUI because he liked their car. Whether or not he know I had been drinking I'll never know. But two months later I've yet to go out unless I have a designated driver or take a cab. All I know is I'll never get that lucky again. Some people learn the hard way. I'm glad it didn't turn out the really hard way where I would have gone to jail or worse, have hurt someone.
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote