View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
husker boxster

Fri Was A Good Day To Drive A Conv

But not the Boxster...

Pull out the 1924 Ford Model T Touring from my Mom's garage and gave it some excercise.

It has a 4 cyl engine and 2 spd trans. Top speed is 30-35 mph est - there is no speedometer. In fact, the only gauge is a volt meter. Speed is regulated by using the stalk on the right side of the steering wheel (pull it down to go faster).

There are 3 pedals: Left pedal is for forward (down to the flr is 1st, half way up is neutral, released is 2nd), middle pedal is reverse, right pedal is brake. You have to really think when driving this baby, especially in tight situations or emergencies.

It was restored by my Dad 45 yrs ago. Restored isn't really accurate - it was built from parts he found in various places throughout northeast Neb. The body came from a hog yard. Note the wood spoke wheels.

It is a blast to drive and always starts, even if it sits for a year. It takes a while to prep for a drive (put in gas, battery, water) but it's always a crowd pleaser. Then you have to remove the gas, battery, and water when you're done or the fluids would slowly leak out. But it makes for a fun afternoon.

My Dad's hobby was restoring old cars. I think he liked this one the best. He suddenly passed away 21 yrs ago and this is a good reminder of him. I still remember when he taught me how to drive a Model T almost 35 yrs ago.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote