Thread: Ebay update
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane
Eh, If I'm serious about a car enough that I'm going to drop 15-40k on it (aggregate price of used boxes), I'm not going to be concerned with spending $250 on a plane ticket to make sure that the car is exactly what I'm expecting. As everyone says, if they don't agree to let you get a PPI and a personal inspection before you pay, then don't bid on that auction. Find someone else, anyone selling a car on ebay should be expecting those conditions.

Now, if you just blindly click "BUY IT NOW" with no talking to the user at all, agreeing to whatever terms are listed in the auction then yeah, it'll be scary
Again, to me, that's not a valid argument. When I look at cars, I don't just pick one and go for it without shopping around, that's like automatically only buying the banana at the end of the row at the grocery store without even looking at the others.

Again, a PPI is only as good as the shop/dealer doing the work, without knowledge of the shop or area, how do you know you can trust the PPI? You can reduce risk, of course, and you can be casual and get stung on a local purchase too, but in general, buying from a great distance is a bigger risk.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote