Thread: Ebay update
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #16
Wonko The Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I don't agree.

Flying out to look at a car costs aheluva lot more than driving over to someone's house to see if the car's as good as advertised.

If you're not familiar with the area that the seller lives, how do you know who to trust to do the PPI? There are bad dealer service departments out there. And how do you know if you actually like driving the car? Maybe you can't get comfortable in it, or maybe the ride is too hard or the exhaust is too loud. I've seen (and taken) pictures of cars that look great, but in person, it's not so great. Light oxidation and minor dings and dents in the body simply don't show up in pictures.

Eh, If I'm serious about a car enough that I'm going to drop 15-40k on it (aggregate price of used boxes), I'm not going to be concerned with spending $250 on a plane ticket to make sure that the car is exactly what I'm expecting. As everyone says, if they don't agree to let you get a PPI and a personal inspection before you pay, then don't bid on that auction. Find someone else, anyone selling a car on ebay should be expecting those conditions.

Now, if you just blindly click "BUY IT NOW" with no talking to the user at all, agreeing to whatever terms are listed in the auction then yeah, it'll be scary