View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
bigb

Remote key issue (solved, but question remains)

On the way back from an overnight camping trip, we stopped to get some food. I tried to lock the car using the remote button, but got no response (no dual-flash, no sound of the locks actuating etc.). Upon examining the key fob, the red led light on it was in "always on" mode. No change when any button on the fob was pressed - red light was always on and not blinking.

Tried locking (and unlocking) using the key manually, and that worked (the red "alarm" light on the top of the dash came on when locking). We had filled the car to capacity (soft luggage... think sleeping bags etc.), and I was wondering if something was obstructing or otherwise causing a problem.

Drove to another spot nearby (didn't like the food selection where we'd stopped originally). I was still thinking about the issue with the key, so I just pried it open. The led light was still on. Took out the battery. Led went out (no surprise ). Cleaned the "contacts" on the battery (no reason ). Put battery back in, no led light. Pressed the lock button, led blinked.

It has been working fine thus far. I have searched the posts here and at renntech, and haven't found a case where the led was stuck in an "always on" state. I obviously reset whatever was wrong by disconnecting the battery, but the question is : How did it get this way in the first place? Did I do something I shouldn't have done?

Sorry for the long post.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote