View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
Jeannot

Talking 987 S test drive

I finally did it. I went to drive the new 987.
So the model was a 987 S, manual, on 19" - but no PASM.
I drove small mountain roads (helps to be able to go drive such roads even for a test drive !)…with the top on….way too cold here...

First, the interior…
You may or may not like the style, but the quality and finish is definitely improved. The plastics, the leather are very pleasing. Ok, the car had like 300miles on it, so it's always nice to sit in a new car :-)
I like: the fact that the speed is displayed on the same dials as the rev…helps
Dislike: the integrated radio system…

Exterior:
Well, I have to admit it really looks nice on these 19"…a matter of taste again.
The top goes up and down while driving, which is a plus for the ones that put it up and down constantly.

Braking
The width is 235 in front while it remains at 265 at the back (I have 18" on my S). Well, the breaking is always as pleasing as with any Porsche, the difference I noted is just the feeling that it brakes stronger with less pressure on the pedal.

Handling
The car has less body roll than mine. But appart from that drives very much the same. You feel at home :-)

Last but not least….
This is the part where I was not expecting so much change…the engine/sound.
The sound from the outside is from a totally different car. It is LOUD. It screams to be driven.
While driving (with the roof remember), it does not makes such a difference, but the guy said when the top is down, you benefit from this extra 'noise'. If you just are a pedestrian, you WILL turn your head if this baby is around. Much more than with the 986. Well done Porsche.
The 28 hp difference with mine is noticable…it really picks up speed faster. Damn :-)
The gearbox much debated smoothness is equivalent. Love it.
Overall, very nice combination, very nice to blip the throttle on downshift…

My own conclusion.
Fantastic car. If I had an early Boxster or never driven one, I would have been totally conquered…for more recent owners, not sure it makes such a difference.
But that's just me. Hope this teaser to the North American crowd was appreciated :-)
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote