View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
eslai

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
If anything, I hoped you learned that Porsche ownership is an ACTIVE relationship. It asks the owner to learn its intricacies and notice when things aren't quite right.. then have them attended to before they become even larger problems. You new there was a problem. You have replaced axles before.. was there not cause for concern that the joints were now dry and grinding?
You really are a judgemental prick, aren't you.

I have a very good relationship with the dealership. My car has been there countless times over the last two years--I'm on first-name basis with all of the service reps and the Hertz rental counter.

You might say that I'm on top of all the problems with the car.

But yeah, I'm not MAD that the dealership decided to replace the whole axle--far be it from me to complain about new parts. I'm just wondering if a do-it-yourselfer would have the option to just replace a boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Did your dealer determine to replace the entire axle after removal and inspection of the actual axle? here the bearings ruined? dry? missing? My hope is that more than the boot was at issue here and you are not sharing the whole story of any damage to the parts that would make replacement the way to go.
When I asked my service rep why they wanted to replace the entire axle rather than just the leaking boot he told me "that's just the way we do it." I didn't argue with him, it's probably a "better safe than sorry" thing. I did ask him, "so, you want me to just drive on it then?", to which he said, "yeah, just let it go and if it starts clicking or what not, no big deal--we're replacing it anyways."

Okay then.

So yes, I'm glad that under warranty the dealership goes out of their way to keep my car in top-notch condition. I just know that things have been expensive for repairs for others, and I can see how that could be the case.

And I don't buy the argument that these are high-performance cars and that one should expect high repair costs. Cars should be built to spec and parts should be expected to perform for their entire lifetime, whatever that lifetime may be. As a consumer, if the car isn't durable and reliable, then we should be able to state that without anyone saying "you're expecting too much."

Now, as someone who's worked on rally and road race cars as a hobby for the past eight years, I understand what it means to go beyond tolerances and I can tell you that I ain't stressing this thing out! These cars just aren't the perfect machines that everyone seems to want to believe they are. You've got the good and the bad. It doesn't make the car any less enjoyable, it just makes them expensive.