View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
? ?? Not true at all. In fact almost all of my porsche driving - street and track - is done on "R" compound tires. Toyo RA1, Khumo Victoracers, BFG R1s (first genreation)Yoke A032 and A008s (yes, those go back quite a few years).

While it may not be the best "street tire" due to their quicker wear rates and less tread blocks (for water evacuation), they are perfectly fine driven on the street.

Also not sure why you would say they "put allot of strain on the drivetrain" - How?

As to the OP,. the Ecsta V700s were a bust as "R" comp tires. Khumo's V710, and Victoracer V700s were/are superior to the ECSTA version.
I drove the RA1 not really as a daily driver but put well north of 10K miles on the weekends. One of the great things about the RA1 is the mileage you can get out of them...BUT not something I would do again. After about 7 months I could definitely tell that the car was feeling the strain, particularly through the steering wheel in corners. creaking, rattles, etc. All this went away almost immediately after mounting the regular street tires where grip took a huge dive but the car ran smoother.
its only logical that a stickier tire will work the drive train, suspension, joints,etc. a great deal more than a regular street compound.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote