View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #20
meerzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
cas951,

It is funny, hearing different reccomendations on oil from 3 separate sources that I all consider reliable - very anal enthusiasts, porsche AD, and the car's manual itself

When did mobil 1 introduce its 0W-40? That might shed some light on some of this. I'd also assume that 0W-40 is best for cold weather and has the best flexibility for high temperature variance.

How about opening a open in poll on oil usage...such as 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, 5w40, 0w40, etc and see what people are putting in thier car?
One thing to always remember with oil...the greater the difference in multi-grade oil weights (seperation of viscosities at various temperature extremes), the less that oil will perform at any given range in that span. The additives known as VII do a good job at helping the oil acheive a sense of viscosity balance at OT vs. cold, but there is always a tradeoff! (nothing is free!) - so choose the MG oil with the smallest gap of viscosity range as possible to acheive your desired coverage.

Let's see if I can help start the poll for you.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote