View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
Perfectlap

The problem I have with the "fast out" phrase is that it leads a newer driver to rush out of the corner before learning to properly set up the exit, track out, etc. Randy Probst who races privateer Porsches and began his carrer Autocrossing says you will never learn how to properly set up a corner exit unless you first drive as slow as you can in the turns for a certain amount of time. You have to be very naturaly gifted to avoid "target fixation" when trying to hit the apex marks.
Its like learning to juggle with a blind fold. There's too much whizzing by you. Those trophies are won and lost in the turns. Another thing that helps is to turn slightly left immediately before tackling a very slow right hander and vice versa.

As for those two seconds, 50hp difference in the same class? Ouch.
I figured you and Sammy were closer on power to weight ratios.
R-comps alone can be worth as much as two seconds, nevermind the 50 horses.
Sounds like you are catching up to Sammy quick!
Before investing in doo dads for the car in the past I would often find one of the really fast instructors and toward the end of the session I would ask them to do lap in my car and use that as a benchmark. Then I would do a lap as the passenger. Those two laps probably shed more light than any of my own.
His best and your best is a good spread on how much time you are losing due to driver errors. Once you've bridged that gap then maybe I would get the tires and wheels. Learning to shake loose of these errors often results in lock ups, drifts, and other mihaps that result in mangling your expensive competition tires.
In the begining I shreded my street tires to the point that I was oversteering like a mad man just to stay on the line. I think the very first lap on the Autocross tires (Azenis) I was within half a second of the quicker driver in my class (only one of which congratulated me!).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-27-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote