Thread: Bodywork
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
Frodo

Bodywork

Had a question for anyone out there who has done bodywork repairs. I’ve got a ’96 Camry (the proverbial “beater car”) that runs wonderfully but is developing cancer over the rear driver’s side wheel well. From appearances, it looks to be an area about the size of a cell phone (though not as wide), though I’m sure once I start getting in there it’s going to be more involved (Isn’t EVERYTHING?).

I have never done any such repairs, though I remember briefly watching my father working on his ’65 Buick Skylark back in the late ‘70s and his results, though not quite professional looking, were pretty darn good. I wish I had REALLY paid attention to what he was doing, since he’s no longer around to ask. Sigh.

I went to a body shop and found out what I already knew: They want like what the car’s worth to do the repair. That’s not going to happen.

Questions:

1) Does one need something like an angle grinder or are there other ways to clean up the rusted area? (I’ve got power drill cutting wheels, files, hack saw, etc.)

2) What product(s) specifically would be good to use? Bondo? Fiberglass?

3) What’s the best source for paint matching? (I’m sort of assuming I could somehow get something in an aerosol can that I could feather into the existing paint.) Again, it doesn’t have to look great. (Anything looks better than RUST.)

I know anything I do will eventually start rusting again…I just want to see if I can arrest the deterioration for awhile, and keep what is basically a nice car from falling apart any faster than necessary.

Any opinions/advice most appreciated!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote