Thread: Lost Key Story
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
drburton

Lost Key Story

So my wife and I were in northern Minnesota over the weekend (Duluth area) and my beautiful wife lost the key to the Boxster . This created a number of issues, the biggest being that we were a 3 hour drive from home - where the extra key was.

In the process of trying to locate the key we thought it might be possible that she locked it in the trunk. She opened the trunk to get a sweatshirt out the night before. I know that if you pop the trunk with the key fob then reclose it the car automatically relocks (not sure if it is smart enough to not lock if it detects the key).

So we called a locksmith to see if he could unlock the door so we could pop the trunk and verify if the key was there or not. The locksmith claimed he had never been 'defeated' by a car. You can probably see where this is going. He managed to get a metal rod past the window and press the key button in the center console, but that did nothing. He also pulled the handle from the inside (using the rod) and the door remained locked. So I have to ask, is it possible to break into a boxster without the key and without actually breaking a window or cutting the top?? Anyhow, consider the locksmith 'defeated'. He didn't charge me anything due to his 'humiliation'.

After much debate about having the key sent Fedex and staying an extra day etc... We hitched a ride back with a friend of ours, got the key, drove back to Duluth, then back home again - all on Sunday. Yes, 9 hours of driving.

Once we got into the car, we discovered that the key wasn't in the trunk and is still lost. So now it looks like I will be forking over the approximate $400 for a new one

On a side note, this is my first road trip in the Boxster and it was great. Lots of room for luggage, smooth drive, very nice.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote