Thread: My New Headers
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #18
RandallNeighbour

One must never forget that these aftermarket headers are made out of stainless steel, not cast iron like the originals. Therefore, they "tick" a little as the steel expands and contracts, most noticeably at idle.

My passenger side header, sent from Che last year, had a true leak in the collector and had a hissing sound under hard acceleration. Of course, he swapped it out immediately and without question. There was an hour of labor I had to pay though to get it swapped.

Any aftermarket headers should be checked for leaks before you install them to save money, especially these eBay parts we're putting on our cars. When I got the replacement header, I used packing tape to tape up the engine side of it really well, cleaning the surface with alcohol before I taped it up.

Then I blew into the other end while my wife listened for possible air leaks in the collector. I huffed and puffed and could not find a leak, so I had it installed.

Killer price, by the way. That's like $400 off, no? It's nice to see parts for our cars coming down in the realm of reality.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote