Thread: Wet again
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
simbob

Door and door seal drains

Patrick,

Each door has two drains in the bottom edge. They are slots in the bottom sheet metal: One near the front and one near the rear. The best way to see them is to open the door and slide under it on your back. If you don't want to do that, you can also feel them if you run your finger under the edge of the seal on the door. The seal on the door is indented at the slots to allow the door to drain. The seal on the door also has a small opening near the rear of the door (like the top third of a circle) to let the water escape from the area under the door and between the seals on the door and on the sill.

The inner seal on the sill on each side runs continuously from the windshield header to the top of the rear door jamb. It is hollow. If you feel along the edge of it where it runs flat along the sill, you will find two round holes to allow it to drain onto the door sill and out under the door through the rear scallop in the seal on the door.

The curved rear top support, which mates to the top of the inner door seal when the top is up is also rubber and hollow and appears to seal into the cupped top of the inner door seal. I don't know if it is an intended part of the design for water to enter this support off the top and to drain first into the door seal and then out under the door. It seems to me that if this is the intended design (a kind of hidden internal gutter and downspout system joining the top support and the door seal), and that if this were the source of my water, I would have found water in, on and around the area of the door jambs, the door carpet and the carpeted panels making the transition from the door jambs to the firewall under the seatbelt anchors, but that area was dry.

Good luck with your check of your door drains and your door seal drains.

Bob

PS Jim, I'll post whatever I learn from the dealer -- but they can't see my car until a week from Thursday. It's like getting a medical appointment. The way this is going, I may need to see if our firm's employee benefits coordinator can look into group auto maintenance insurance to go with the medical and dental plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Bob-

I think I may be in a similar boat (no pun intended) as you are. I don't have buckets of water, but the other day in a hard rain I had some slight moisture on the rear carpet of the driver side, and a bit under the door speakers carpet (which in my case, is very custom audio).

Can you enlighten me on the door drainage system, both within the door and the jambs (since it seems you understand it very well)?

It sounds like you may be scratching your head, or doing the target painting, since from what I understand, it seems you've hit all the points of water intrusion, so if you can't find anything, I'm not sure what's left to miss?

Patrick
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote