View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
Another S in S

No, you're assuming the S2000 is being used as the benchmark. That was never said or implied. The comparison is made to re-emphasize the point that the 986S 6 speed sucks. It's not even quite up to the level of the S2000, a lower sports car.

I don't think you have a basic understanding of logic. Let's revisit the quote I posted. It clearly implies more than just an improvement of the 987S 6 speed over the 986S speed. It clearly implies that the 986S 6 speed is NOT SMOOTH and is NOT EFFORTLESS when it says the 987S 6 speed is smooth and effortless and also says:

unlike some gearboxes of yore

If the article didn't include the above statement I would agree with you. Since it does, we can conclude the 986S 6 speed is NOT SMOOTH and is NOT EFFORTLESS. Simple logic.

Ever wonder why the 6 speed plays to your supposed problem of shifting/clutching? Ever wonder why you never hear of any problems with the '00 - '04 986S 996 6 speed tranny used in the 996? Because it was designed and optimised for the 996 NOT 986S!

I'm so glad Porsche fixed the gear ratios problem in the 986S and optimised them more for the likes of the 987S tranny. Please read from p. 12 (November 2004 Panorama): "the six-speed manual S tranny, optional on the base Boxster, is brand new and features gear ratios that are taller than before...."
Another S in S is offline   Reply With Quote