View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #18
Lux

I used to drive an E36 M3. 240hp/225tq and geared aggressively. Loved the car. When it was time to move on, I wanted something that was everything the M3 was...and a little more. Obvious choice was the E46 M3. Unfortunately, along with its bigger motor came bigger dimensions and bigger weight. It lost its nimbleness.

Having 2 friends with a C5 vert and a C5 Z06, I got to know Corvettes well. They are nice cars for a nice price. I almost bought a C5 Z06 myself. But a little bit of quality (what the C5 lacks in..especially interior) goes a long way in a daily driver for me. Also, the Boxster is quite a bit more nimble. The C5 (and C6) have a fairly long wheelbase for a sports car. The turning radius is 40 feet! That's friggen huge. I had a Mustang GT in high school and it also had a 40ft turning radius. I couldn't make U turns on some streets. Not very nimble. But on the track the Z06 will annihilate the Boxster...you'll get no arguments from me about that.

The S2K doesn't offer anything I'm looking for. A tendency for snap oversteer at the limit, a torque deficient motor, and a cheap interior that's more spartan than their Civic line. The Boxster S has more torque at 2K rpms than the S2K has at peak.!!! Like the Corvettes, more torque equals better driveability. Driven at 10/10ths the S2K is close in performance to the Boxster S. But driven below that and the performance drops off considerably.

I somewhat disagree with Adam in that I use the Boxster's nimble handling every day. I do a lot of city driving and having a "point 'n shoot" car is almost a necessity.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote