View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
8 Ball

Electrical fire under seat

I have a 2001 Boxster S, pretty much stock. today I had an electrical fire under the drivers seat, in the area where the seat belt locks down. I just started the car in a parking lot, put down the top and drove to the ticket booth to pay and while I handed the guy the ticket I saw some smoke at my right elbow. I then looked down and started seeing more and more smoke. I opened the door to get out and there was enough smoke that if the top was down it would have been solid inside. I started trying to open the space between the seat and the carpet next to it and blow out the fire and I saw a red ember about 1/4" wide down in there. I then turned off the car which turned off the fire but the smoke kept coming for a while. Pretty much once the smoke settled down I figured out the electric controlls for the drivers seat don't work any more. the passenger seat works and everything else works. Lucky me had the top down or the burned rubber smell would have been in the top forever. Any idea what happened?

8 Ball
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote