Thread: Snow tires
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Pat

These guys have great advice.
I've had several sets of snow tires, including Bridgestones, Dunlops and Yokohamas. Blizzaks are nice, but the first 50% of tread is an ice-oriented compound, while the last 50% is snow-oriented. That could be good or bad, depending on your needs and priorities.
Snow tire technology has advanced a LOT in the last several years. Because of this, you're better off buying a tire that was just introduced in the last couple years. Blizzaks made a name for themselves as one of the first non-studded snow tires with good performance.
Probably my favorite snow tires for MY needs are the Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds. In the winter, I drive in 70 degree temps, all the way down to about -15. I live in Denver, where it is frequently 50+. I also ski patrol at Loveland, which tops out at 13,000 feet. Obviously I drive in very diverse conditions.
Combine that with my desire for a fun car, and it makes for a tall order. The Dunlops have filled that order better than any others I've driven.
If you drive on snow MOST of the time in the winter and don't care as much about the dry performance, you may also want to look into the Gislaved NordFrost 5 and the Nokian RSi. Both outstanding in snow.