View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 04:04 AM   #24
1JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by choeglund
Just curious, do you know what brand of material was used on your MDX? Also, how would you describe the deterioration? Yellowing? Cracking?
It was 3M film installed by an authorized installer. It hasn't yellowed or cracked. It has gotten some opaque marks and lines where it seems to have shifted a bit over time. By shifting I mean it there seem to be little seams here and there. I'm guessing it expands and contracts between the cold winter and hot summers. The car has always been kept in a garage. It also has more of an orange peel look and what looks like abrasions. My guess is that since it is a soft material and it sits on front of the car and mirrors going at 70mph it eventually shows the stress of hitting bugs and whatever else, more than paint with an overcoat. I've got cars just as old and the paint looks great.

That being said when I remove it the paint should look good as new. I just hope it doesn't look a lot better than the rest of the paint. I'm going to take if off the mirrors first with a blow dryer to see how easily it comes off.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote