Thread: Do you Wave ??
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
wild1poet2

Do you Wave ??

I've been wondering about this. Over the last couple months when I'm cruising top down and see a porsche coming the opposite way I've waved. First I just waved through the front windshield. I got few returned waves. It kinda baffled me. Even when I was on an empty coastal road with no other traffic porsche drivers would motor by oblivious to me ?? Curious, I then tried raising my hand up over the windshield in a wave. Now, they wouldn't miss it. I got more waves back but still a big percentage of non wavers. This really intrigues me.

I've been riding harleys for longer than I care to admit. When you are riding on some backroad it is a custom to wave at approaching riders. It's a sign of a community or brotherhood. Harley to harley ; always. Harley to other brand bike; depends on the rider. Lately, with the biker boom, I must admit it has become a bit of a burden. You're out running an errand in the burbs and every 20 seconds another bike comes along and wants a wave. "Hi !! " LOL

But on a day like today when we are light years from the nearest city, lost on some back country road, and another biker comes along, well, you exchange the "wave". If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. It transcends social class. You'll see the most gnarly hard core tattooed bikers wave at some weekend warrior wannabe.

So I don't know why another porsche driver wouldn't feel a kinship with a fellow porsche owner ? Maybe they think its just a car ? Maybe a wave is too bourgeois? My study is not very scientific, just anecdotal.