View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #31
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
I have never used any additives like these...my question is why would you? I am assuming if you use the correct fluids (coolant, fuel...) per manufacturers recs, you would not need to use these products, so why do it and take the risk?
Hi,

The Marketing behind many of these additives is, and has always been, tremendous making them truly irresistable to many. Wild claims are unsupported and those anecdotal recommendations people often receive are merely Placebo Effect.

Also, many of these additives are not the product of intense research and engineering, but often simply packaging readily available chemicals and hiking up the price some 1000%.

Remember STP Oil Treatment? Said to quiet valves, etc. Well all it was was 90Wt. Gear Oil and it certainly did quiet the valves at a 900% markup of Gear Oil.

Seafoam? Just Kerosene, Iso-Propyl Alcohol and Nahptha, all of which you can buy and apportion according to Seafoam's recipe of 40-60%, 10-20% and 25-35% respectively. You can make this home brew for about $18/gal. or buy it readymade from Sea Foam Sales Company for the equivalent of about $55-$60/gal. These ingredients will have a cleaning effect with each attacking a specific issue - Kerosene - Carbon buildup, IPA - Varnishes and Parafins, Nahptha - carbons and varnishes.

But again, as you state, use the proper fluids and change them at the proper intervals and you eliminate the need for these additives.

The possible 2 exceptions are Stabil if you are storing the car and an occasional Injector Cleaner (my preference is Jectron based on price, active ingredients, etc.). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99