View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #22
MNBoxster

Hi,

@boxsterz - As you state, you are no Chemist. It's technical half speak like this that can contribute to misinformation as well as discreditation of an otherwise sound piece of advice.

Not wanting to start a Flame War, I am also not a Chemist, but I do hold a BS in Material Science and minored in Organic Chemistry (essentially a pre-requisite) from a Big 10 university which ranks very high nationally in both chemistry and materials science.

The chemicals I listed and their properties are correct. They are not made up, but reported by Redline in it's required MSDS publication which I researched before offering my initial advise to the lister.

These are not rare chemicals at all, but well known and used for a variety of purposes. The only one which would not remain in a liquid state when mixed with gasoline is Tolyltriazole, which is also used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, and any number of other products. All other ingredients would have flowed through the injectors and been combusted in the cylinder along with the fuel, and within that specific volume of fuel which was contaminated, there would have been no residual effects. These other chemicals are not altered in the presence of gasoline and all burn well within the combustion temperatures of gasoline.

The Tolyltriazole would not, it would precipitate out of solution as a white powder and drop to the bottom of the Tank as it is heavier than gasoline. Interestingly, it is Blue upon manufacture, not Red as was the color of the gel found by the mechanic.

You see cause and effect while admittedly knowing nothing about the interaction of these chemicals with other substances, not a very sound conclusion, and seemingly taking a jab at those who at least stepped forward, did some research, and replied to the lister's request - seems you've been absent from this thread up to that point. You are merely looking at the linearity of one event preceeding the other. That has the same validity as saying that Rain caused the issue because the car was rained on before the engine started acting up.

My knowledge of these chemicals and their interactions says this incident was not the culprit, therefore, something else must be responsible. A likely possibility, though certainly not the only one, is that in the lengthy interim (in the same 9 mos. I added more than 93 gal. of fuel to my car which is solely used for occaisional pleasure driving), something else was introduced into the Fuel supply causing the issue such as contaminated fuel, or even as the lister eluded a mischievous substance was introduced (perhaps a Red Gummy Bear - just as possible). But it's unlikely that the WW was the cause.

You have offered no proof, other than your belief that the WW was the culprit, along with some anecdote about Fresh Gas being better than Stale Gas to make, or solidify, whatever case you're trying to make, now that's technical half speak.

I am fully prepared to admit being wrong, as I have done often in the past, if someone can show that to be the case.

With repsect to the Lister, I did not shoot from the hip with my initial reply but researched his query pretty thoroughly before responding. I would never intentionally give someone harmful advice or offer any whatever if I didn't feel I knew what I was talking about (ever casually notice how many threads I do not reply to? This is often the reason why).

And, it wasn't me who mistakenly added the questionable substance to begin with, or the one who chose a path of action. So don't try and infer that I am somehow responsible for all this because I am simply not.

People make their own choices, whether it is to choose or to ignore any particular advice offered here, by anyone. To try and condemn advice here is to make people ignore sound advice and cause those knowledgeable people to shrink from giving it. Then we're just talking about Headlight mods and Wheel colors and many owners would not like to see the forum move to that direction.

I won't discuss this further on open forum with you as you seem intent on being divisive and simply use it as a soapbox for whatever vindictiveness you harbor toward me or whatever. If you want to PM me, I'll reply as I see fit, but I won't be party to a lynch mob no matter how badly you may wish to organize one. I welcome other knowledgeable replies as well...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-31-2007 at 10:53 AM.