View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
sonvolt10

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back (Radio)

I purchased my 98 986 about 1 month ago. The car has run flawlessly and I could not be happier; except for the radio.

The previous owner replaced the stock radio with an Alpine head unit, the CDA-9883. He also claims to have replaced the stock speakers with a pair of Infinity Kappa 42.7i's and a pair of Sony GT1325A's.

Regardless, the radio sounds TERRIBLE!!! There's virtually no bass whatsoever, and the overall sound is flat and tin-y; The FM reception is atrocious and there is absolutely no AM reception.

During the PPI, it was disclosed that the stock amp was no good. Apparently the previous owner, knowing he was going to sell the vehicle, went the cheapy route and just put a new head unit in (and may have changed the speakers) as opposed to replacing the bad amp for approx. $800.

He simply removed the bad amp so that the (allegedly new) speakers now are being powered solely by the Alpine head.

The local audio place suggests that I keep the Alpine, install a new amp and speakers for $700. I really don't want to spend that much money.

I'm also of the mindset that I would like to possibly go back to the original head unit and keep everything in the car original. Of course I would have to reinstall
a stock amp (perhaps one from eBay), as well.

What can I do so that I can have a decent sounding system without spending a relative fortune?

Thanks
sonvolt10 is offline   Reply With Quote