View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
edevlin

Braille Batteries - Customer Service

I have been using a Braille lightweight battery for about 6 months now. I got it as part of the weight loss program for my base 2000 Boxster. Loose the spare tire, about 30 lbs saved, replace stock-type battery with the lightweight 15 lb Braille save another 30 lbs or so, depending on the brand of battery your boxster is sporting. That 60 lbs is weight that is easy to feel.

If you want to see what it is like, go to walmart and get a 60 lb bag of dog food (a regular activity around our house), place it in the front trunk and do some spirited driving on some local twisties. Then take the bag of dog food out and drive the same course, I was pretty impressed by what the weight savings does for the car.

Anyway, I have added some audio amps to my Boxster and when the music is VERY LOUD and the headlights are on, I noticed a little dimming of the lights to the music. I put my Optima red-top battery back in my Boxster and the dimming was gone. I suspected that the lightweight Braille battery did not quite have the current for the extra audio gear and lights. That being said, the Braille had plenty of juice to crank the car in very cold winter weather and for most normal uses a battery gets.

I called up Braille and explained what was happening and I was amazed at how helpful and responsive they were. They first said that even their 15 lb battery should be able to work in my application without dimming the lights and they would be pleased to send me a new battery for free. I would just have to return the original battery when the new one landed.

I then asked if I could get their larger 21 lb (550 cold cranking amps) battery instead of the one I had. They said no problem, it would just cost me 10.00 (the difference between the retail cost of my original 15 lb battery and the higher amperage 21 lb battery). Not only that, but they took care of the whole transaction in one day and included the fedex tracking number to show that my new, larger battery was already in transet.

I think that was the best customer service I have ever received on a product. I dont know if you are in the market for a lightweight battery to make your Boxster a little more responsive, but if you are, based on my experience with their product and customer service, I can sure recommend Braille batteries (http://www.brailleauto.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=17),

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote