Thread: 986 Carputer?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #7
cmarks20

Kirk, do you have a flip-out screen, or are you going to do a flush mount where the AC controls are usually? MP3car.com is missing some links on it's main page for some reason..... I was going to link a Boxster install they had there. They used a completely in-dash configuration, accented in Guards Red. It doesn't look bad at all, but he lost the cubby holes. The lower center dash (right behind the shifter) seems like it would have plenty of room. After all, besides the two pockets there, it's just open space in the back.

I've thought of using the laptop, but can't seem to find a ribbon cable to convert to a new LCD. The ribbon is pinned a bit different from a standard in-dash touch screen. I'll have to look more into it. I've seen some really hacked up carputers, and really don't want that. I love a clean install. An micro-ITX or even a nano-ITX solution seems like it would be efficient, just more expensive. The nano ITX boards are only 4.7" squares....I may be able to make a single DIN box and just live with one less pocket. I'll take some pics when I get a chance.

Rather than using a P3, I think I may go with a Dual Core, assuming I can find a decent ITX board that supports it. Cooling is another issue, but being that close to the battery, I'm sure I can manage to rig some kind of fan or even a water-cooled solution. Those water cooling setups for desktops are really efficient, and use barely any power at all.