Thread: iphone
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
FrayAdjacent

I picked up a 4gig iPhone yesterday afternoon. I had checked the Apple site to see if any Apple stores would have any in stock. None in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana or New Mexico! I decided to swing into the nearest AT&T store (that was out of stock on the 4th) just to see if they had gotten any. Asked the guy, and he said they may have an 8gig model, but he'd check. Came back out with a shiny new 4gig iPhone box. They JUST got some in.

Got it home and got it activated. Synced with my contacts in Outlook, so I instantly had all my phone numbers. SCHWEET! It imported the one POP mail account I had set up in Outlook (I use Thunderbird as my primary mail client), and imported calendar events. I like the calendar, since I use Yahoo Calendar a lot, and can sync that with Outlook, then in turn sync it with my iPhone.

Everything on the phone runs well... the email client is a bit simplistic, but it works. Text messaging is very neat with the way it groups incoming and outgoing message by who you're 'talking' to.

Typing on it isn't that difficult, actually. On the occasional fat finger, if it's on a word in the normal dictionary, it autocorrects, and it does pretty well.

Google Maps is nice, it's easy to zoom in and out and move around. Would be nice if it had a GPS receiver, or could at least use a bluetooth GPS receiver. Also the map right around where I live is probably 4 years old.

Looking up a business on Google Maps is nice, since it will show you all the locations. You can click on one, it will take you to a screen with the address and phone number. Click the number and it dials automatically. Sweet!

The camera isn't too bad, but there are NO settings you can tweak.

Viewing pictures is nice. The screen is BEAUTIFUL!

The browser is nice, and will load whole pages just like on a PC (although no Flash support).

I have made a couple calls, and the sound quality and volume is good. Not great, but good. Did have some popping and crackling earlier today, but that could have been on the other end since I was talking to a friend on her cell. I was also able to easily pair my Motorola BT headset with it. Got voicemail setup, but haven't received any yet.

I only put about 700MB of music on it. Found how to download the album art so when holding the phone horizontally, you can scroll by album. It runs VERY nicely. Sound quality is on par with the 4GB Nano I had a while back (gave it to my little sister in NYC).

All in all, I dig it bigtime. It wouldn't work well for power users who need a productivity device. Stick with your crackberries if you need that stuff. But for a phone, a music device, and some other communications, it's very nice.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote