View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Having driven the 350Z extensively after renting one on a trip not long ago, I must say that the car is a lot of car for the money. What impressed me: Modern looks, nice lines. Very good power (I think it's like 280hp vs. my base 01's 217hp), great off the line torque response - it would definitely take my car on a 0-60 sprint. Terrific sound from the exhaust - no need for an upgrade or aftermarket exhaust, as it sounds great straight out of the box. Surprisingly good handling characteristics- no body roll when taking turns. As good as the handling is on my boxster, there is actually body roll (lean) in corners. There is no such roll in the 350Z. It feels tight albiet a bit heavier in turns. Terrific value- heated seats, xenon headlights, sirius radio - all seemed standard on the car.

What was mediocre: Car exhibited lots of road noise- there was definitely not as much sound insulation put in this car, so it seemed less refined than the box. While the engine was nice and torquey, it kinda fell flat after reaching the upper rev ranges, whereas the boxster kinda comes alive after 5K rpms. The 350Z's engine, as you get higher up, sounds/feels almost as if it's gonna explode. Interior- while it looks modernly designed, they use cheap/plasticy materials, and there is very little actual useable storage space.

At the end of the day, I think the 350Z is a great alternative to the Boxster if cost/future outlay is important to you. ie. as the car gets older, I'm pretty sure the Boxster will cost you more to maintain/repair than the Box. What you get for the extra money you pay initially for, and the higher maintenance cost for the Boxster is a terrific overall sports car designed more for grins in the curves than the stoplight to stoplight contests, with the added advantage of owning a car that looks more expensive and garners more attention/flash value from others. Bottom line- if I couldn't afford the Boxster, I'd def. go for a 350Z because it is a pretty darned good sports car for the money- good power, sound, looks for the buck, imho. As for the Honda S2000, I wouldn't really consider it as much as the Nissan because I personally don't really much like the boy racer exterior design, and the smaller interior. Also, the Honda's engine, while nice up top, is listless in the lower rev ranges. I prefer the torquey engine from Nissan.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote