View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #16
Perfectlap

Using a new california duster is not bad. But unless you are really diligent about shaking it out and only use it when its a very fine film of dust its trouble. The problem is that when you drive on the road the cars in front and around you kick up sediments (sand) from the road and onto the car. Without wet lubrication often times you are dragging these micro sediments across your paint. And who knows if the sand is still embedded in the duster. I don't think I've ever heard of someone washing a California duster either. I think for a garage queen that only picks up dust from indoor parking its ok. for daily drivers no good.

Yes you can wax your car too often. The more you dry touch the paint the more trouble you are making for your self. I know one guy who does the whole 3 step (polish/seal/wax) EVERY MONTH! That 12 times a year when you should only be doing it 2 or 3. A good acrylic wax that is left untouched outside should last 4-6 weeks. Longer if its garaged. Obviously the Wax will degrade and you won't get the 10/10's shine you got on day one later on day 15. But that's easy to cure. Just boost the wax with a good acrylic spray (Aqua Wax $8 NAPA, Zaino Z8, Carnauba Jett) after your wash and make sure you use an absolutely pristine clean towel. If you follow up with an anti-static spray like FK1 425 or Chemical Guys you can go three months without having to reapply the wax and even longer for the sealant.
Non-Acrylic waxes with high concentrations of pure carnauba like S100, Souveran,P21s absolutely require an anti-static spray or sealing glaze (FX100) if you want to see it last for a month or longer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote