View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
My manual says:

1. "Your engine is designed to provide optimum performance and fuel economy using unleaded premiuim fuel with an octane rating of 98 RON (93 CLC or AKI).

Porsche also recognizes that these fuels may not always be available. Be assured that your vehicle will operate properly on unleaded premium fuels with octane numbers of at least 95 RON (90 CLC or AKI), since the engine's "Electronic Oktane knock control" will adapt the ignition timing, if necessary."

2. On the fuel filler door of my Box it says "Minimum octane RON+MON/2 = 93"

Some quick net research tells me that AKI (Anti Knock Index) is the same as (R+M)/2.

Therefore the manual and the fuel filler door don't agree, and I'm left wondering if I really can run 91 or 92 instead of the much pricier and rarer 94 I'm currently using.

It sounds some of you are running 91 without any issues, but I'd like to know if that's more universally the case before I switch.
To me the manual and filler door say the same - see bold. The manual then states you won't necessarily harm the motor with only 91 octane. It simply will play with the ignition, an potentially reduce power, so as to limit any detonation.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote