View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
1JB

Your question was: "Why do people seem to think these engines are 'old' after 100K miles?

a. flat six design
b. poor engine design/manufacturing
c. people just don't drive P-cars a lot, so an engine that has 100K on it generally means the car is 15+ years old and the rest of the car is degrading
d. something else?"

And now in your last post you're "SURPRISED to see many people here have that perspective." I've been a member here for a while and don't think many of the people here have that perspective. To the contrary I think the vast majority of the people here think their cars will be on the road for a very long time to come, though they have no illusions about the cost of maintance and repairs. Many here who have Boxsters with more than 100M miles on them or who have seen them and ridden in them consider them classics of the highest quality though they've only been in production for a little more than 10 years. Hence my statement that I think you're making an invalid assumption about what many of the owners here believe. I wasn't saying that you were accusatory or aggressive. You have reached your own conclustion about a prevailinng belief you attribute to the members here and I believe it is incorrect.

I don't know what terms you searched for but a search using the terms "old" "engine" and "100K" didn't turn up threads with people making this statement. You may want to read this thread if you're looking for how many miles people have on their cars, what problems they've had.
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7697&page=1&pp=20&highlight=break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
First, I didn't assume anything. I was surprised to find through searching the archives that so many people had attitudes about their Boxster with less than 100K miles being "old." One of many posts I can reference is a recent one with a guy contemplating selling his car simply for the fact that it almost has 80K miles on it. It was running just fine, but he seemed to fear something bad would soon happen.
Regarding the 1.8T, there were oil sludge issues caused mainly by people not running synthetic oil. There is an oil line running from the turbo over the exhaust manifold that gets hot. As you can imagine, many owners did not use synthetic oil and change it at regular intervals. This was the main cause of the problem- people using low-grade oil and not following the prescribed maintenance schedule. I don't know of anyone that has driven their car harder, more than I have and in such a short amount of time. As with most cars out there, with proper care, it will go for hundreds of thousands of miles.
I'm sorry if I came off as accusatory or agressive. That was certainly not my intent. As I said before, I was SURPRISED to see many people here have that perspective, because I always considered Porsches to be some of the best made cars available.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote