View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
Pat

First, I didn't assume anything. I was surprised to find through searching the archives that so many people had attitudes about their Boxster with less than 100K miles being "old." One of many posts I can reference is a recent one with a guy contemplating selling his car simply for the fact that it almost has 80K miles on it. It was running just fine, but he seemed to fear something bad would soon happen.
Regarding the 1.8T, there were oil sludge issues caused mainly by people not running synthetic oil. There is an oil line running from the turbo over the exhaust manifold that gets hot. As you can imagine, many owners did not use synthetic oil and change it at regular intervals. This was the main cause of the problem- people using low-grade oil and not following the prescribed maintenance schedule. I don't know of anyone that has driven their car harder, more than I have and in such a short amount of time. As with most cars out there, with proper care, it will go for hundreds of thousands of miles.
I'm sorry if I came off as accusatory or agressive. That was certainly not my intent. As I said before, I was SURPRISED to see many people here have that perspective, because I always considered Porsches to be some of the best made cars available.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote