View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Pat

I get the impression that these engines wear out quickly

Disclaimer: I own a 99.5 A4 1.8T. It has 192K miles on it. Although driven hard, it has been maintained better than 99+% of the cars on the road.

I did a compression check on my engine a year ago, and it showed the engine was in almost perfect condition. Keep in mind, this is with a bigger turbo and many track days on it. I have no worries about my engine "wearing out" or having any real problems whatsoever.
I'm in the market for a 986, and after doing a lot of reading here over the last couple weeks, I get the impression that many of you think these engines are "old" after 100K miles. Is there really any validity to this? In my experience, if engines are maintained properly (warm up, oil change, etc.) they should go for at least 200K miles. At least.
So, my question is, "Why do people seem to think these engines are 'old' after 100K miles?"

a. flat six design
b. poor engine design/manufacturing
c. people just don't drive P-cars a lot, so an engine that has 100K on it generally means the car is 15+ years old and the rest of the car is degrading
d. something else?

Have many of you performed compression checks on these flat sixes that have 100K miles on 'em?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote