View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
haalaj

Is it time for a boxster?

I have always had an eye on the boxster looking forward to the day I would have one. Im pretty young but have a clean record and am very into cars. I had a date set to buy my first porsche (boxster) on my 23rd bday. Well I am about a year early but Im really considering picking one up.

My current "toy" is a 91 Nissan 300zx. The car is in near mint condition and very fun, love the looks I get. I live in southern minnesota so people dont get around much here lol. The 300zx is starting to age and have it reliability issues with 90k miles on it. I want to get a newer fun car, preferably 98+ and less than 40k miles.

2 issues that concern me about the boxsters which have been asked many a times. Reliability and cost to own. It wont be a 100% daily driver as the car will be stored half the year due to snow and bad weather. But can the car handle being driven throughout the whole summer. What are the major concerns to look for? I dont want a car that is going to need to have a repair every other week. And also the cost to own one, believe it or not a 97-99 boxsters insurance is actually cheaper than the 91 300zx I have now...explain that one.

But other than insurance what are the prices on the boxster "realistically" and are there any wierd problems boxsters have that cost a lot of money. Within the last year my 300zx had 2 injectors go out ($500 parts/labor each), driveshaft go out ($700 parts/labor), and alternator ($300 parts/labor), ecu go out ($225 performance ecu) typical oil change for me is 4 quarts royal purple, filter etc. ($35) every 3,000 miles, and I get about 16-18mpg.

Sorry for the long post, and I have been searching LOTS, but I wanted to get my foot in the door to say hi, and get a few specific answers.

Thanks!
haalaj is offline   Reply With Quote