View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #18
Perfectlap

when it comes to power its mostly in your head, particularly with Roadsters.
My last car was a well modified 1.8 Miata with barely 160 hp. But it was very light so it launched from a stop in almost the same seat of the pants feel as my 3.2
Almost an additional 100 HP yet it didn't feel like a sinificantly faster car. When I went up another 100 HP and drove a 350 HP car (911S) that too didn't feel significantly faster. 0-60 times for all three were seperated by a few blinks of an eye.

THe big difference is felt when you are already moving, like merging or passing cars. In that context the difference is more than perceived. You're simply going to get past that SUV quicker with more power.
When it comes to power in general I think we have all conviced ourselves that we need more. But you end up getting used to that extra power just like the last car.
Its like a woman's diamond ring, sooner or later someone with a bigger rock will walk into the room, so why bother trying to be king of the heap? Its better to concentrate on other qualities like color or clarity or in sports car terms handling and braking.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote