View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
OldBlevins

Tire Recommendations?

It's time to get new tires. I've scoured the posts and realize that the "best" tires depend a lot on use. I'm hoping y'all can give me a recommendation or two.

I use my Box S exclusively for street driving. Probably by the standards of the people in this forum, my driving would best be described as cautious. I push it some through curves, and happily consider posted speed limits as recommendations, but I'm not expecting to break 100mph in it. Although I don't push it very hard, I don't want a tire that significantly compromises what the car can do. My habits could change (in fact they already have) and there are always emergency maneuvers to consider.

My wife rides with me a lot (see "cautious" above) so I also want a fairly comfortable ride.

I was looking seriously at the Kumhos until I ran across RandalNeighbour's post about how slippery his were below 40 degrees on wet pavement. I live near Seattle, so I need a good wet-pavement tire. It doesn't freeze here all that much, but 40 degrees isn't uncommon in the winter. Or fall. Or spring. But I do want to use the same tire year-round.

I won't say money doesn't matter, but my earning power will be severely curtailed if my tires fail me, so...

Oh yeah - I have 17" rims and I'm thinking a little about the BF Goodrich g-force Sport tires.

Any suggestions?

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.

Last edited by OldBlevins; 06-09-2007 at 12:16 PM.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote