View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
Perfectlap

I highly doubt I would ever trade in a roadster for a Coupe.
THis is my second and I can't begin to tell you how much I HATED being in hardtop sports car when I was on vacation last year in Florida.

I think having a CaymanS and A BoxsterS would be novel but kind of excessive since they are so similar. Heck even Porsche lumps their sales numbers into the same boat.

The 996 prices droping like an anchor lately have surprised me and gotten my attention. This week a guy on Rennlist took home an 02 C4S with barely 25K miles for ......drum roll......$43K and a CPO to boot!!! Car was absoultely MINT.
Porsche has simply produced more cars in the last 7 years than ever before in its history and the demmand is just not there to keep those 911 prices prop'd up.
The deals will be even sweeter 12 months from now. Back a few months ago I even saw an 02 996 Turbo 30K miles with BBS, spotless all around, go without a single bid on Ebay for $55K.

Similarly the Caymans are a crashing. 06 CaymanS leftovers going for $50K is not unheard of. The guys who paid $70K are eating $20K in depreciation in barely 18 months....OUCH. But aestheically I doubt I would buy one for even $40K because I know I would end up spending $10K on exterior cosmetics, wheels, GT3 seats, etc.

I dunno I would never consider a 911 or Cayman a replacement for a benchmark roadster but if room and $$$ allows, its a fine addition to the collection.
Right now I think the 996 Turbo dry sump engine (far superior to the lower 911 engines) is the best value going. GT3 also has this engine but that's not a car I particularly enjoyed being a passenger in on one very wet drive. If its mis-aligned its down right dangerous. The Turbo is like the Oprah Winfrey of Porsches: Powerful, expensive and heavy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote