View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 AM   #10
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowyellow2000
Boxtaboy the answers to your two questions are:

Does the muffler hang below the rear bumper? Depends on where you are viewing the rear of the car from. If I get down on my hands and knees, I can see the bottom couple inches of the muffler. Standing behind the car, all I see are the exhaust tips. The picture you posted shows the car on a lift. The picture was taken at an angle looking up at the muffler. I was on the freeway a couple of days ago and was passed by two 986 Boxsters. Both appeared to have stock mufflers or aftermarket ones like Dansk. On both cars, I could see the bottom half of the mufflers. I made it a point to look at back of both cars because of all of the posts about the FabSpeed muffler hanging too low.

Do I notice the drone with the top up. Don't know. The car is only driven in good weather with the top down. If the drone is noticable with the top up, for the few times it is driven that way I can live with it. If your Boxster is your daily driver, I would suggest trying to find a car in your area that has the FabSpeed system installed and asking the owner to take you for a ride with the top up.
- Thanks for the update. I do recall seeing a picture of the fabspeed unit installed from a rear shot in plain view without the car on a lift, but can't find it right now. I'll post when I do, or you can post a pic of it on your car. What I found was that the can stood out because of the left and right extreme sides of the muffler that hung low so that made it look awkward. The Dansk and factory unit does show from below too, but it is not as obvious and protruding like the Fabspeed unit because the can is tapered in shape so that it fits the curvature of the underside of the bumper and blends to the overall look.

I don't disagree with you regarding the sound. The Dansk unit is milder in tone than other aftermarket exhausts, and is only throatier and louder over 4K rpms, but has absolutely no resonance top up or down. I'm sure your Fabspeed is louder/more aggressive sounding.

- As for the drone of the Fabspeed, would it be difficult to just put your top up one day for 5 minutes, run the car, and see if there's any resonance to report?

Thx.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-31-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote